Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The 3 Day-October 2007

I recently completed a 60 mile 3 day walk for breast cancer in October. The walk was to raise money for breast cancer research and awareness. It was difficult, but so worth it the hard part for me...camping!

To participate in the walk each person committed to raise at least $2,200 dollars. When I sent out my letter to friends and family I joked that walking 60 miles wouldn't really be the stretch for me. It would definitely be the 2 nights at camp. Sleeping in tents!!! With no electricity-which means no hairdryer or straightening iron!

I wasn't joking! I thought I might die the first night! It was so cold! It was around 40 degrees. Jeff's sleeping bag said it was good to 20 degrees, but I froze to death! The good thing is it is extra long like Jeff so I actually pulled it in on myself. I don't think I slept a wink! I called Jennifer, my sister-in-law, to bring me a few blankets the 2nd night. THANK YOU! I slept so much better the 2nd night.

As far as camping goes I think I did pretty good. I had someone help me set up my tent, but I took it down all alone! What a big girl! The camping really wasn't that bad. We had hot showers (in 18 wheeler trucks) and a great (hot) dinner each night. I did have to go to bed with wet hair. I slept with two toboggans on.

On a side note you can actually 'check-out' of camp. I might have to opt for that next year unless I have friends come with me. I think I would sleep better roughing it at the Holiday Inn and be rested up for the next day.

Here are a few highlights from my trip:

There were cheering stations along the way each day. Jeff and his friend James came to the first cheering station to see me. It was so exciting to see them as we came around the corner. Jeff was holding a sign that said 'My wife is a hero." They shot off poppers and silly string.

Closing ceremonies were very emotional. They ended with a tribute to survivors. What an experience of a lifetime! The slogan for the 3 Day is Everyone Deserves a Lifetime!

The entire experience was a little surreal. My brother-in-law dropped me off that first morning. It was freezing cold and I didn't know anyone. I camped! I can't even put into words what it means to have walked.

Things that stood out to me that I will never forget from this experience:

A lady in her 50's or 60's that was just clapping and cheering at one of the cheering stations had a sign that said, "My mother would say thank you."

A lady in her 50's and her daughter's friend that were walking in memory of her daughter. They had pictures pined on their backs. The friend had a picture of the lady at the 3 day last year. She was 8 1/2 months pregnant walking! She died in September leaving her family and daughter Landree's age behind.

One lady had a sign pined to her waist pack saying this would be her last 3 day to walk. She was a 2 time breast cancer survivor, but would die soon.

My faith in people was really restored. I was shocked at how generous people are if you allow them to be. I raised over $2,250 with really little effort. Business donated things I need to camp and for the walk. It was really neat to see people pull together for a great cause! The Dallas walkers raised over 6.5 million dollars.

I received so many letters from friends at camp. It was so neat to go and check the camp mail and have received letters from Jeff, Traci, Jessica, Michael, Jennifer, Carol, and Tricia. Jeff and Dana both gave me notes to read during specific times of each day. Jeff wrote his prayer for me each day. Dana included scripture and a sweet note. She also gave me an extra to pass along to another walker. It was a really neat testimony to her heart and life and fun to share with others.
These are the just a few of the reasons I can't not walk or be involved with raising money for breast cancer research!

No comments: